Pizza place opens with square slices from former Dallas Mafia boss
A new pizzeria with a serious New York reputation has opened in Dallas, just outside Uptown. Called Slices, this is a Sicilian style pizzeria that serves pizza by the slice, with ingredients imported from Italy and a square slice configuration.
The concept was founded by the colorful Michael Franzese, a former capo of the Colombo mafia family, and the concept has previously been featured in Forbes magazine.
According to a representative, the Dallas site is a franchise owned and operated by locals Scott Harris and Ellis Whitman. It’s at 2025 Cedar Springs Rd., In a nice building that was once a mini Pizza Hut.
Franzese is from Brooklyn with millions of followers on YouTube, who gave up his old life to become a writer and motivational speaker, including speaking to young people and incarcerated people to discourage them from joining gangs. In 2009 he wrote a book titled I’ll Make You An Offer You Can’t Turn Down: Insider Business Tips From A Former Mafia Boss.
He founded Slices with Tony Riviera, a former Colombo partner, and they opened the first location in San Francisco in 2019. They have since opened four more locations in California, including an upcoming one in Seattle.
Slices is a street food pizzeria, with square slices cooked in custom black steel pans imported from Italy. Following practices common to Neapolitan-style pizzerias, they use 00 flour from Naples and tomatoes from Campania, along with olive oil from Sicily and custom ovens handcrafted in Venice.
Their dough is fermented for 72-96 hours and is very moist, which creates a light, crispy crust with lots of air pockets.
Varieties include classics such as Cheese, Pepperoni, Sausage and Broccolini, Vegetables, and Hawaiian. You can get it by the slice or as a whole pizza, for 4 to 6 people, for around $ 25 to $ 29 per pie. One slice is $ 4 to $ 5.
In addition to the classics, they have unique signature pies including:
- The hip to be square, with mild Italian sausage, pepperoni, sopressata, minced garlic, red and green peppers, onions, mushrooms and Sicilian green olives
- Smoked brisket, with BBQ sauce, mozzarella, red peppers, green peppers, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes
- Bacon Ranch Chicken, with red sauce, smoked chicken, minced garlic, red and green peppers, creamy mozzarella, topped with crispy bacon and classic ranch
- BBQ Chicken, with smoked pulled chicken, red onions, barbecue sauce, mozzarella, jalapeÃ±os, cilantro
- BBQ pulled pork, with BBQ sauce, mozzarella, caramelized onions, red peppers, pepperoncini, green olives
- Pesto Veggie, with mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, red and green peppers, kalamata olives, mozzarella, sundried tomato pesto
- Chicken Pesto, with smoked chicken, pesto sauce, marinated cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, mozzarella
They also make Italian sub sandwiches, served on homemade Roman bread with arugula, roasted red pepper, pepperoncini, caramelized onions, jalapeÃ±o, pickled cucumbers, tomatoes, green olives, garlic aioli and olive oil. The options include:
- Italian, with provolone, salami, prosciutto cotto, sopressata, mortadella and mustard
- Meatball, with mozzarella, basil & red sauce
- Vegetarian, with mozzarella, ricotta, pesto sauce, zucchini, yellow squash and marinated artichokes
- Tuna salad, with provolone
- a barbecue, with smoked pulled pork or smoked brisket & BBQ sauce
They have five salads: Greek, Chopped Italian, Caprese, Chicken Caesar, and mixed greens; plus buffalo wings, cheese lasagna and Sicilian meatballs made with pork, veal and beef.
There is no dining room, everything has to be done. You can order on site, place your order in advance or order online. Besides pickup, their website is live for delivery and they are also on all major apps (Doordash / Uber eats / Grubhub).